Monday, 5 March 2012

50 books I plan to read this year.

With my college days coming to an end, and my dissertation nearing completion, I am left with a lot of time on my hands (from April, ofcourse- now is That maddening phase, where you can't finish your dissertation or your assignment and are living like a sloppy zombie). So, to compensate the less-stressed phase that follows I am making a goal- to read atleast 50 books this year.


And I am beginning with Senior S' recommendations!


1. Pico Iyer- Abandon
2. Peter Mattheisson - The Snow Leopard.
3. Conn Iggulden- One Man Would Become a Legend.
4. Anna Varughese Past Perfect
5. Mohammed Hanif- Our Lady of Alice Bhatti.
6. Iris Murdoch- The Philosopher's Pupil.
7. Iris Murdoch-  A Word Child.
8. Iris Murdoch-  The Bell.
9. Faulkner- As I Lay Dying.
10. Faulkner- The Sound and the Fury.
11. Angela Carter- The Magic Toyshop.
12. Amitav Ghosh- The Sea of Poppies.
13. Amitav Ghosh- The Shadow Lines.
14. Gabriel Garcia Marquez- One Hundred Years of Solitude.
15. Andrea Levy- Fruit of the Lemon.
16. Julian Barnes- The Sense of an Ending.
17. William S Burroughs- Naked Lunch.
18. Hari Kunzru- Gods Without Men.
19. Catherynne Valente- Palimpsest


The list requires completion, so if any of you happen to stumble upon this blog- and have a recommendation put it in the comments box. I might end up reading it. :)

Also, people very important- if you guys download books- pdf format- and happen to have links to books or have ecopies with you- please, please do let me know. I am relying on old-computer-reading until I get my own Kindle!

Happy reading life- all of you! 

3 comments:

  1. Hey dear,I just got to notice your blog via Indiblogger.Visit my blogs at
    http://fathimashehna.blogspot.com/2012/03/discrimination-part-i.html
    http://apassionateindianlady.blogspot.com/

    And I love English as a language.
    What kind of books do you wish to read?

    There is a book "The Immigrant" by Manju Kapoor,"Speaking for herself" An autobiography by Cherie Blaire.

    I have read both these books and recommend to anyone if they wish to read women writers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Thank you for stopping by.

    Will visit ya! I don't know what kind of books yet- but I like Magic realism, biographies, short-stories anything really. No genres as such. But I am trying to read some classics and some contemporary books.

    I have read "Difficult Daughters" by Manju Kapur, liked it. I think I'll try "Speaking for herself" first. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello..
    If you are looking for something light,I would recommend'DIPLOMATIC BAGGAGE' by Brigid Keenen.i absolutely loved it..may be yu should give it a try

    ReplyDelete